Friday, October 5, 2007

Real Talk


Last Saturday, Radiohead dropped a bomb and forever changed the music industry when they surprise announced that their new album will be released in just a week and a half, and that the price is up to each customer.
As of today, that Radiohead bomb is looking more like a bottle rocket, because the one and only R. Kelly just caused nuclear winter with his youtube only video for Real Talk.
I think I speak for America (North and South) when I say that I don't even know if R. Kelly is even human anymore. The music he makes is no longer just the voice of our generation. The music he makes is our generation. I mean, this guy has a career arc that defies math. Sure, he's always had some success, especially with hits like Bump and Grind and Ignition (remix), but ever since the Trapped in a Closet series dropped, his arc has been straight vertical. And speaking of Trapped in a Closet, we all would have been accused of smoking fools gold if we'd thought that he could ever touch that level of artistic genius again. So R. Kells did the only thing he knows how. He filled his blunt with pure pyrite, and he puffed and puffed until things got straight magical again. And that's when Real Talk was born.
Real Talk is actually just a bunch of real talk. How real? So real that he has to apologize in advance for how much profanity he uses, but he does note that profanity is just part of the real talk that happens when you are arguing with your girl. The only problem with this video is that he keeps it a little realer than real, which is way too real for this blog. Brown Sugar will not fully endorse the human language when the level of talk gets this real, and that is why I haven't posted the youtube video directly on this site. However, we will still loosely endorse it, and that's why you can click on a link to be taken to the video right here: Real Talk
Some people probably can't handle this level of real talk, but the way that I look at it is that if I was in a fight with R. Kelly on the phone, he could cuss me out all day and all night as long as he did it with that soulful croon. That man could sing his way into or out of anything.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

oh my gosh--I am way too old to even pretend to comment on this musician.

anyone want to discuss Depeche Mode?

Anonymous said...

i never thought the internet would ever get boring. but one day it did. it was sometime after fantasy basketball ended. the internet had hit an all time low. but now that i have discovered this little marshmallow in my matey's the internet is back on top baby! keep up the exquisite blogging. you are my favs. i am going to bookmark this. boo yah!

Anonymous said...

i just watched the video for Real Talk and now i am so ashamed of all the fake talk that i have participated in my entire life. its only real talk for me from hear on out. get ready mother f******s!

Adrianne said...

um, who is r. kelly?? I know I shame you with my lack of awareness, but maybe we can have awareness classes in January?

Brown Sugar said...

There is no shame in not knowing R. Kelly. HIs canon of work is controversial but I would say he is best known for his ongoing legal problems with underage women. wikipedia him.

Ashley said...

What's really great is that this debate continued over Sunday dinner...the blogs don't just stay on blogspot - it's great controversial sabbath day conversation at its finest.

Brown Sugar said...

what sunday dinner was i at? i have no recollection of r. kelly talk. I only remember the talk about a man in a loincloth showing up at your door. Oh, and i also remember your dad getting really upset and yelling at me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.